Pressdia Ad

Congo Offers Rebel-Held Rubaya Tantalum Mine to U.S. Under Strategic Minerals Framework

The Democratic Republic of Congo has included the rebel-controlled Rubaya coltan mine, one of the world’s richest sources of tantalum, on a shortlist of strategic assets it is offering to the United States under a minerals cooperation framework, according to a government document seen by Reuters.

A senior Congolese official and a U.S. diplomat confirmed that Rubaya was part of the list presented during a DRC-U.S. meeting in Washington on February 5 aimed at advancing a strategic minerals partnership agreed in December.

Both spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

By adding Rubaya, despite it being under the control of Rwandan-backed AFC/M23 rebels, Kinshasa is seeking to attract U.S. investment into mineral-rich but conflict-affected eastern Congo.

The move could give Washington access to tantalum, a heat-resistant metal extracted from coltan ore and used in semiconductors, aerospace components, computers, mobile phones and gas turbines.

According to the document, Congo estimates that restarting and expanding commercial production at Rubaya would require between $50 million and $150 million.

The government expects rapid recovery of those costs because of strong global demand for tantalum.

The U.S. is seeking access to a wide range of natural resources as it works to reduce China’s dominance in Africa and build a strategic stockpile of critical minerals.

The Congolese government document says Rubaya could provide a “fully traceable, conflict-free” supply of tantalum that complies with U.S. procurement rules.

Rubaya, located in North Kivu province, contains several thousand metric tons of coltan with tantalum concentrations of 20% to 40%.

It produces about 15% of the world’s coltan, all mined manually by local workers who earn only a few dollars per day.

The mine and surrounding areas remain under the control of AFC/M23 rebels. In a report last year, the United Nations said the occupation has fueled organized smuggling networks into Rwanda.

The U.N. estimates the rebels, whom Rwanda denies supporting, collect at least $800,000 per month from taxes on Rubaya’s coltan production and trade.

Don’t Miss This:

China’s Zijin To Launch Congo’s First Lithium Production In June At Disputed Manono Site

The M23 group and its political affiliate, the Congo River Alliance (AFC), are under U.S. sanctions and are not part of a fragile peace agreement between Congo and Rwanda brokered in December by U.S.

President Donald Trump. Fighting has continued despite the deal. The groups have criticized the minerals framework, calling it “deeply flawed” and arguing that Kinshasa should not negotiate new mineral partnerships while clashes persist.

A senior official from the group told Reuters on Wednesday that the AFC/M23’s objective “is not the mines but the liberation of our people”.

The official added that by offering Rubaya to Washington without controlling the site, Kinshasa aims to draw the U.S. into helping the Congolese government retake the area militarily.

Speaking anonymously due to the sensitivity of the discussions, he said the mining title is held by a private entity, not the Congolese state, and any future dispute would demonstrate that President Felix Tshisekedi “does not control all the mining sites”.

He declined to provide further details about ownership. The Congolese government did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The U.S. State Department confirmed to Reuters on Tuesday that Congo formally presented its initial strategic asset reserve (SAR) list at the February 5 meeting, but did not disclose which assets were included.

Under the framework agreement, U.S. companies will receive preferential access to the listed assets. Washington says the initiative is intended to promote transparent investment, create jobs and support long-term stability in the DRC.

The State Department said eligible private-sector companies are now invited to request the SAR list and express interest in qualifying projects.

Other projects on Congo’s priority list for U.S. investors include the large Manono lithium deposit in Tanganyika, the Chemaf copper-cobalt complex in Haut-Katanga and Lualaba, the STL Germanium–Gallium expansion in Lubumbashi, and three proposed cobalt refineries.

The document also lists hydro projects linked to state miner Gecamines, Congo’s section of the Lobito rail corridor designed to transport critical minerals from central Africa to Western markets, and major gold prospects such as Kibali South and Moku Beverendi.

Congo and several U.S. or allied companies have already signed preliminary supply agreements under the minerals security partnership, which is part of Washington’s broader effort to reduce China’s long-standing dominance over Congo’s critical minerals sector.

The government document does not identify the U.S. companies approached or confirm whether formal negotiations have begun.

Don’t Miss This:

Congo Republic To Buy Back $354.3 Million Of 2032 Notes

Image Credit: Reuters

Pressdia Ad

Unlock Doors Across Africa: Grab Your FREE Personal Branding & Networking Guide!

Ready to build a powerful personal brand and network that opens doors across Africa? This guide provides the blueprint for thriving in the continent’s dynamic business landscape.

[mailpoet_form id="1"]

Pressdia Ad

Latest Posts

Related Posts

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here